The McCormick House at Cantigny Park was the country residence of Col. Robert R. McCormick, the longtime editor and publisher of the Chicago Tribune. Located at Cantigny Park in west suburban Wheaton and owned by the McCormick Foundation, the McCormick House serves as a house museum whose purpose is to explain the Colonel’s life and legacy in the areas of journalism, education and civic engagement. Built in 1896 for his grandfather, Joseph Medill, the founder of the Chicago Tribune, the house was designed by noted Boston firm Shepley, Bulfinch and Coolidge. Col. McCormick added flanking pavilions to the original building in 1936 by architect Willis Irvin.
The project involves architectural and landscape upgrades for the McCormick House to accommodate varied public outreach uses by the McCormick Foundation. Project goals include a refreshed interpretive approach to the house’s history, restoration of its exterior and significant interior spaces, creation of classroom and exhibition spaces and venues for educational and public events. Improvements include structural, mechanical, accessibility, code/life safety and conservation upgrades.
1 S 151 Winfield Road
Wheaton, IL 60189
Senior Vice President of Operations
Robert R. McCormick Foundations
Category: Total Building Renovation